Weight: 20 percent
• Each student should choose a company that is listed on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX). Find an annual report for the 2014/2015 or 2015/2016 financial year*. Remember to use a complete annual report, not a concise financial report or a half-year financial report.
• You must reserve your company by adding a post on ‘Discussion Board’ under ‘Reserve a company here’. Write the name and code of the chosen company in the description line of your post. If you add the company name in the message and NOT in the description line, then the reservation is void because it will not be readily visible to others.
• To ensure your choice of a company does not duplicate one already chosen by other student, they will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.
• Word limit of this report should not exceed 1,500 words (excluding executive summary, references and appendix). A loss of 10% of the total marks will apply if you didn’t follow this instruction.
• You must use the electronic Assignment Cover Sheet provided, fill in details and then make this sheet the first page of your assignment. Do not send it as a separate document.
• The file name of the report should include (in order) your surname, your student number and the name of the company that you chose for your assignment. For example:‘Parker1235456xyz’.
• Your assignments must be submitted as Word documents. If you wish to submit in any other file format please discuss this with your lecturer before the submission date. Please note: you are not allowed to submit the report in PDF file.
• Unless otherwise indicated, all assignments are to be submitted online via the link for Turnitin assignment submission provided on the Blackboard site.
• If there are any references used in the report, the references should follow Harvard Referencing Style. The reference list should provide all materials supporting the report including a web link of the annual report of the chosen company.
Instructions for the report
This task requires you to prepare a report to evaluate and comment on information regarding Intangible Assets (except Goodwill) provided in the annual report of a company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX). Your comments or evaluation should comply with the requirements of relevant Australian accounting standards (AASBs) – AASB 138 Intangible Assets and AASB 136 Impairment of Assets. In the report, you should address the points outlined below:
1) List the composition of intangible assets in the chosen company. (2 marks)
2) Evaluate the identifiability, acquisition and recognition of intangible asset presented in the financial statements of the chosen company. (6 marks)
3) Evaluate the measurement and amortisation of intangible assets in the chosen company. (5 marks)
4) Evaluate the impairment of intangible assets – identification and measurement – in the chosen company. (4 marks)
5) Discuss whether the chosen company provides sufficient information (disclosure) in relation to AASB 138 and AASB 136 in the annual report. (3 marks)
Further information regarding the report:
• The report should include an executive summary, a body of contents covering points listed above, and a reference list.
• You should refer to the requirements of AASB 138 Intangible Assets and AASB 136 Impairment of Assets as the guidelines of your report.
• Other references used in the report such as annual report should be included in the reference list. Remember to provide a link of the annual report in the reference list.
• Sections extracted from the annual report or AASB to support your report should be included in the Appendix. Also, provide specific page numbers of the annual report and paragraph numbers of AASBs as in-text reference in your report such as annual report note 10 and AASB 136.10(a). If you choose to ignore this instruction, you will lose marks.
The quality of the report will be assessed based on the following four areas:
1) Demonstrate and identify the accounting concepts applied.
2) Use paragraphs from related Australian Accounting Standard as guidelines to support your discussion.
3) Provide example(s) from the annual report to illustrate the implementation of an accounting concept(s) or principle(s) discussed.
4) Demonstrate effective communication, referencing, logical presentation and integrated evaluation.
- CLICK HERE AND ORDER NOW……………………….